Tuesday 25 August 2015

Katherine Gorge memories

Last year before we left the Northern Territory to tour in the eastern states and spend time with family we treated ourselves to something special.
We hopped in the ute and drove an hour into Katherine and then another 20 minutes or so out to Katherine Gorge.

Classic Katherine Gorge photo.
Late afternoon
The Gorge has a special place in our hearts. We first visited in November of 1989. I was expecting our youngest son and the other two kids were still in primary school. We didn't own a caravan, so we hired one and packed ourselves and our goods up and headed north from Adelaide.  November is well into the build-up to the wet season so we were treated to spectacular dry electrical storms and it was hot, very hot. We hired canoes and paddled and swam up the river porting the canoes over the rocks between gorges.  Incidentally, the camp area we used  is no longer, as it was wiped away in the flood of 1989. During this flood the tops of the gorge walls were just a series of islands.

It was my first introduction to the NT and even after all of this time the whole experience glows in my memories. That might be one of the reasons that I even listened when K began to wonder about travelling north.

Anyway as I was saying, last year we treated ourselves to the sunset tour and dinner on  Katherine Gorge. Boat trip and short walks through two of the gorges and then dinner while the boat drifted back down stream to the park.

Katherine Gorge just before sunset on a tour
Fresh water crocodiles, numerous birds, lizards  and the most spectacular scenery were accompanied by a commentary from one of the indigenous park rangers. And the sunset was beautiful.

 

Katherine Gorge sunset dinner cruise boat
Tables set up and the BBQ cooking.
Pretty good example of outdoor cooking

We were seated with a couple from France and their mother. It was a fascinating evening, Great food, Great scenery and a priceless insight into this couple's lives.

A good memory.


Cheers Sue

A Ferg on the Move

6 comments:

  1. Hi again Sue, just wanted to say how lovely it is to get a sense of life up north. I've never been but you are surely whetting my appetite for when the time comes for our family to do some exploring.
    However, crocodiles!

    Also, congrats on being a consistent blogger (so far) - nice to know I can pop online and see a new post pretty much every day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are enjoying my writing. As it happened I nearly didn't blog last night as I was staying in the house of a principal and his family in a community an hours drive from here.

      Delete
  2. You blog about a place I've never heard of and I google and find out about it and even see pictures. The western part of the US(where I live now) seems similar (but less) to NT. I have had a romance with Australia since 1972 when I first read books by Nevile Shute. Way back before the internet and google earth etc. when I had to read from the library and imagine how Australia looked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope one day you are able to satisfy that romance and travel out here. Australia is such a large country that not all of it is like I describe, but I think the Northern Territory is special. If you can get a hold of it try to find We of the Never Never, which is written about right where I live at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Now we have an off roader of sorts we won't miss the sunset cruise next time round after that recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great evening. Not cheap mind but we try to do something special each season. One time we did the Lake Argile. That was wonderful too.

      Delete