Monday 10 August 2015

Tiny living basic pantry goods


I've talked about where and how everything is stored, and showed you some pictures. I had to do some major tidying before I was game to point a camera at my cupboards, so thank you all for helping me do my housework. Small does not always mean tidy I'm afraid.

 

So what pantry goods do I carry?




A lucky find a few weeks ago. Gluten free.
Sticky date is K's all-time favourite desert.

Small amounts of normal and gluten free flours, corn flour, baking powder, sugar in very small amounts as the ants just love sugar, and
Mustard and curry powder, a packet of gluten free gravy mix, gluten free cereal, oats and a variety of nuts are essential.

Given the importance of coffee in my life there are always coffee pods and coffee beans. These live in my caravan oven which I refuse to use as I can't abide cooking smells in my bedroom which is a metre away. Doesn't matter if it is cold or hot I do my baking and frying  outside.  I'll show you my outside kitchen another day.

Loose leaf tea (yes I am fussy about my tea too), sugar sachets, vegemite, peanut butter, dried peas, gluten free pasta and packets of precooked microwave rice complete the very basic dry stores.

 
I decant olive oil that I buy in a larger container into three small bottles. One is left unflavoured and I make chilli flavoured and lemon flavoured olive oil in the other two bottles. Sometimes if the local market has chilli or lemon I use these. Otherwise dried chilli and bottled lemon concentrate have to do.


In the box under the sink there are always a couple of tins of fruit, small tins of corn, mushrooms, tomato and a good tomato puree. K likes to collect sauces and chutney from the towns we go though so there are usually a couple of these ready to put in the fridge when they are opened.

 
The current selection of souvenir sauces and chutneys.
Gunning Wouster sauce. Wild lime chutney
and a pickle from a roadside stall

That list looks pretty boring!  But believe me combined with fresh veg and some meat we can eat pretty well and economically from this lot.



Mushroom and chicken soup with rice.
 
 

However not all is lost because  I cannot resist the temptation to buy new or different things when I do get to wander around a good supermarket or town market.  So sometimes things just leap into my trolley or are  assisted in there by K. Well what else do I expect if I take a man shopping with me!

 

I think K is being a bit optimistic!

Cheers Sue

A Ferg on the Move 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I recently found your blog and went back and read all the posts. Very interesting.
    I am intrigued by your lifestyle and look forward to reading more. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to see your outdoor kitchen. Keep blogging. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Candice. Thankyou for you kind encouragement. Blogging is new to me although talking about our life is not. I love our life!
      Outdoor kitchen and other thoughts are on the way.

      Delete