Saturday 15 August 2015

Frugal Tasks

Last night I made yoghurt for the first time. Which was pretty nice of me considering that I hate the stuff.
K however loves it and it is very expensive here in our local shop. Close to twice the price I would pay in Darwin. So I bought a EASIYO system for $16 and a couple of  sachets of mix to get me started. Buying the sachets is half the cost of yoghurt at our local shop. But I found directions for how to make yoghurt from scratch in an easiyo yogurt maker  so that will bring the cost per kg down to less than $2. K can experiment with flavours for himself.


My first batch of yoghurt. Berry flavoured EASIYO mix.

 
 K needs to keep his salt intake down. So we have always  bought low salt butter spread. There is no such thing in the local supermarket so this is another of things we have to do a 200 km round trip to buy.
My daughter makes spreadable butter for her family and taught me how in the summer this year. I love it because I can make a small batch each week. No-salt butter, water and oil, I use olive oil, and whiz it up until smooth. This also works for me because my stick-blender runs on the battery and inverter so I can do this even if we are travelling. I make just enough to fit in a reused Lurpack butter container.  This is one of K's special foods that I like as well.

Ingredients for homemade salt-free butter and olive oil spread.
100gms salt free butter, 50 mls water, 50 mls olive oil

 













Another frugal thing I did today was to prepare sticky lamb ribs. Every year before we come back to the NT for work we fill up the fridge freezers with a lamb that our daughter and son-in-law have grown on their NSW farm. Great meat and really cheap. Lamb costs the proverbial arm and leg here.  This is beef country thank you very much!
Using lamb ribs from the camp freezer, the ends of bottles of tomato sauce (ketchup) and chutney, and a few teaspoons of a gluten free spice mix these ribs will spend an hour in the BBQ oven . With Potatoes baked along side, a salad and a glass of red. Not bad for a caravan dinner.

Sticky lamb ribs
Lamb ribs, tomato ketchup and gluten free hot spice mix.
 



And I did the washing in the twin tub and hung it on the caravan line.

Coffee and a book now.

Cheers Sue
A Ferg on the Move









































2 comments:

  1. Yep this IS pretty nice of you. I love home made yoghurt and we have a yoghurt maker thermosy thingy. Use yoghurt instead of milk for the best scones recipe in the land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss scones. Haven't cracked gluten free ones yet. I wonder if yoghurt would help them stuck together better.

      Delete