Tuesday 19 July 2016

Six months and more off grid. Small and cosy

Inside our little house on wheels is pretty cosy. The winter annex is up, with the hooded Bbq at one end and the folding bed from the shearing shed still in there from when our oldest son from Brisbane stayed to help with the shed.

It is cold so the bed is dressed for winter with K's favourite Wolf blanket. I am a very accommodating wife.  (Ok those of you who know me ....stop laughing) No flower patterns for us.

My camp twin tub fits next to the annex door in cold weather. Too cold to stand outside to do the wash. I confess to boiling the  kettle to take the chill off the water. My hands were very thankful. Now that the shed wood fire is going, drying winter jumpers and jackets is easy. I just peg the things to metal coat hangers and brave the scary step ladder to hang them from the metal roof beams. Clothes dry in the hottest part of the shed. We won't talk about how long it takes me to climb down again and recover my balance. I hate heights and slopes.  I have perfected the art of knocking the hangers down when its all dry and catching the stuff before it hits the ground thus avoiding the step ladder. Big things hang off the line in the open bit of the shed or on the pull out racks on the back of the caravan. The other minki blanket that I found in storage boxes is hanging on those racks waiting for the rain to rinse out the dust before I pack it away again. My twin tub is not up to that amount of wet blanket. In fact I think the blue minki, yes a blue wolf patterned minki, has only ever hung on the line and had soap and water sprayed on it and been hosed off. Even in a real house I never had a washing machine up to its bulk.

We are used to working half of the year, but the wait for K's medical treatment has us grounded in this delightful place. After living here off the grid I think returning to work life and having people close in a caravan park is going to take a bit of adjustment. Although electricity and water on tap might be worth it....maybe.

One of the byproducts of being on our own most days is taking pleasure in the daily tasks.  I realised just how far I have relaxed into semiretired life when I was telling our granddaughter what my day was like.  Make yoghurt, mix bread and rise it in the car window, bake it in the Bbq, wash clothes, light the fire, throw a ball for the dogs, read a book, slow cook dinner on the fire and crochet lots. All of this interspersed with trips to hold things for Mr Fix It and remind him that we live in a caravan so that whatever it is he has salvaged can go on the pile of things for the tip.

Talking of the tip we took a load there yesterday. This is always a hazardous expedition causing Mr Fix It great pain. You see people throw out things; sinks with fittings still attached, belts, pulleys, nuts bolts, tv's and such. He has to leave them there, unlike in Mataranka where the tip is the unofficial spare parts shop. Oh well life is not meant to be perfect.

Cheers Sue

A Ferg on the Move

9 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, what were your reasons for choosing a twin tub over a front loader for example?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I can control the amount of water I use. A third of the price of an automatic. Bigger load than caravan front loader. And fits in the front boot of the van.

      Delete
  2. LIke A Fay I love it. My sincere and deepest condolences to Mr Fix It. I have the same problem but unlike him I don't have the fix it abilities something I dearly miss. Our transport company has been transporting a lot of the N.B.N. stuff-you know that project that is going to bring the internet into every home even to rural properties near Crookwell maybe before we all die? We have to bring all the unwanted stuff back. Old telecommunications poles with all galvanised bolts and u-bolts as thick as 2 fingers and poles like clothes lines unused and all clip lock bags unused etc. I salvaged a few that are in old bank teller money boxes salvaged out of the scrapped machines at work stored on a 2 metre high metal shelving unit a bank was throwing out. At 1 stage I had a crate of nuts bolts fittings( a lot stainless steel) that went to the metal recyclers that weighed 275 kilos. You and I are paying for all that waste!! So if you are in Adelaide and near Fulham and Kevin wants to have a look..............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen those sticks with a u shape kind of hook on it that they use at clothing stores to get things down. Kinda like a you pick stick for fruit except a long stick with something on the end to hang laundry. I thing even some duct tape to put the end on
    with. I do not like heights either so I understand. I live in California but follow a blog called "The Blue Birds Are Nesting. I believe she lives in Adelaide. She does a lot of DIY and money saving stuff. Anyway loved the blog. So much fun!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a project for Mr Fix It.
      Great to hear from you.bit never ceases to amaze me where people who read my stuff live. Or that they enjoy my ramblings. I also read Blue Birds are Nesting. Small world

      Delete