Tuesday 13 October 2015

Eating the crocodile. Or what's this at the bottom of the freezer?


No one has done any shopping here for three weeks since we were both not here. In both senses of that statement.  I am still restricted to camp most of the day, as my chest is still very sore from the intubation tubes and I have two wounds, one each side, from the operation which I am not allowed to get dirty or wet.

Yesterday I bought meals from the  bistro, which is strangely still operating a full menu because we have a number of bus tours coming through. What tourists are doing here at this time of the year is beyond me. It is really hot. But they are in the cabins so I guess they can turn on the air con. (mine is chugging along nicely since Mr Fix It gave it a kick, gently of course, yesterday.)
Carrot, corn and coriander salad with lemon olive oil dressing
So serious investigation of the stores in the caravan kitchen was in order if any eating was gonna happen today. In between thrilling TV shows (as Springsteen would say..57channels and there's nothing on)  I rumbled around in the food lockers.  Tinned corn, tinned fish, pickles, chutney, dried peas,  bread mix, some homemade yoghurt and carrots made their way onto the bench.
Fresh gluten free bread ready for a ploughman's lunch
Bread is easy. Five minutes mixing, forty minutes rising and an hour in the oven. Didn't even need to put the dough in the car to rise. It was 38 in the annex. I reckon the dough might have started cooking in the car.  Oven outside under the annex. This is when the outside kitchen really works.

Pickles, chutney, tinned creamed corn and tuna from the stores made a ploughman's lunch of sorts.

I made a journey into the freezer to see if anything might work, with minimal effort, for dinner and nestled next to the last precious packets of farm grown lamb I found a packet of crocodile meat K had bought ..... well I'm not sure why.
Crocodile steak
Butter chicken mix, some yoghurt and tomato sauce and we are dining on "Butter crocodile noodles" and carrot and corn salad.
Butter crocodile, fresh bread, carrot and corn .
Croc meat is pretty bland, but has a sronger texture than chicken.
That's why I used yoghurt in the Butter Sauce,

You never know what you will find if you dig in the freezer. Better him inside me than me inside him I say.
The real deal. Salty croc at Victoria River WA

Cheers Sue

A Ferg on  the Move
 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Good one. Your resourcefulness when others give up is back in full swing I see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess. I would call it a strong case of the stubborns, bit I like your description better.

    ReplyDelete