Tuesday 20 September 2016

A lament for high heels


This post is somewhat of a lament, a sad longing for the good old days when there was always something stylish between me and the pavement.  Before outback dirt and Crookwell weather got in the way of
a good shoe.



In my opinion shoes are just footwear if they don't have a heel. Before I became a caravan living women I had quite a collection of shoes. l had stilettos, wedges and square heels. Not a flat shoe in sight. I could stalk the halls of the school I taught at with the best of them. The extra height didn't hurt when fronting high school boys either.



Then I moved into a caravan.



Instead of a whole wardrobe floor to store my shoes I have one triangular shelf and a bit of floor space on my side of the bed. Oh the agony. K had trouble getting rid of his collection of bolts, wires and electrical bits. I had trouble ditching shoes.



So one best pair black wedges. A white and a black casual heels and my wedge heel  thongs..flip flops for non Australians....made it into the cupboard. I managed with  these everyday in NT.  Pretty heeled thongs on my feet, colour on my nails, a colourful pendant, cool bohemian top... Got to keep up your standards.



I did have flat thongs for safer walking to the hot springs and back.



Then we spent winter this year here in Crookwell.  Now I have boots, flat heeled boots, two good pairs bought locally and a couple of thrift shop soft tops. My daughter bought me some uggies. I think she was sick of seeing my cold toes. I put thick socks and boots on everyday. My few summer heels are in the cupboard and the boots rest in the annex to ambush me every morning.



I have been walking town in flat footwear. What is the world coming to?



I recently found in one of the boxes we had in storage my long high heeled boots. I must have decided they were too precious to discard. With joy in my heart I popped them on to find that not only was the zip knackered but that  I have slipped so far into low heeled-ness that I needed the heel lowered a bit so there is some hope that I can wear them again. A nice man in Bankstown altered and repaired them for me while K was in hospital and I have instituted a regime of daily training to get back into shape for their elevated wonderfulness. One can only hope.





Cheers Sue

A Ferg on the Move.

5 comments:

  1. Love wearing high heels. Just do a few toe touches every morning and then stretch up really high. Soon your balance will be back and you will feel tall again. It's all a matter of positioning those hips and shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will follow your prescription faithfully. Love those boots.

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm....I reflect on all the high heels around our place. "Vanity keeps us comfortable Dad" I'm told. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just can't keep a good heel-wearer down!! She'll always find a way! Hope a spiffy occasion arises where you can break out those boots!

    ReplyDelete