Monday 21 September 2015

Trash or treasure: Or upgrade my computer

View through the door
Living in a small place with someone who is horrified by what people throw away has its moments. We start any long stay at a camp site with a beautifully set up out door space. Cooking, fridges and camp chairs sit neatly under the annex. It looks pretty good.

Then the inevitable occurs. Someone gives him an old thingy.
"I can't get this to work. Thought you might like to have a go at it." This comment actually translates as, "I have no idea how to get rid of this thingy that I have broken. You dump it for me please."

Said thingy gets tried out, and put in the to be looked  pile.

People give K  appliances or tents or chairs, or computers or BBQs or   ...... you get the picture....  and guess where they end up?  On the pile, to the sound of, "How lovely that you found that dear. Who are you giving that to?" 

Rescued stove.
K is very talented at turning trash into working and useful items. And he does get rid of the left over parts to the dump with some regularity. Although a trip to the dump can sometimes yield other projects. (And car parts as well. Cheaper than the wrecker's yard)

I admit to sometimes finding K's hobby as irritating as he finds my ability to disappear into a book for hours. But not last weekend.  My new tablet PC is now sporting an extra hard drive in the keyboard docking station and a SD card in the tablet. Both very useful. Both salvaged from notebooks that were no longer working. Both at no $ cost to us.
 
I got a more file storage, K got the fun of fixing and recycling AND most importantly the extra bits went to the dump.

Except that he was given an Android tablet by a staff member on Saturday. They lost the charger.

Like I said. There are moments when.....


Cheers Sue

A Ferg on the Move


7 comments:

  1. Mr Fix It strikes again! What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he. Given how expensive things are out here it is a very good thing.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I am a new follower and am enjoying your blog. I can imagine at times the annoyance of stuff lying around but how wonderful to save and fix items that would be tossed. I have this streak but no fixing ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Leisha. I hope you continue to find my ramblings entertaining. My hubby is extremely gifted in that he has both the skill base and the tenacity to see a project past the initial problems to a successful conclusion.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sue, I just wish I had a Mr Fixit in my list of friends. Most of my friends, though wonderful in other ways are pretty useless in the "Fixit" category.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am spoilt. Dad, both grandpas were amazing. Brothers, hubby and my sons are all pretty handy. I'd lend you my Mr Fix It but you are too far away.

      Delete