Monday 7 September 2015

Netball, fishing, avoiding crocs and other sage advise



I have just had the delightful experience of watching the Katherine region's under 12 netball final. (200k round trip to the match for players and spectators)
What a match! Transformation of these quiet kids, disadvantaged in so many ways, into confident, passionate and graceful athletes. Wow!

The match attracted a couple who are fellow travellers and in the very few minutes between quarters we discussed the life style. They are avid fishers and spend a few weeks every year camped on the banks of local rivers.

Fishing on the Waterhouse River


















I am an avid watcher of fishing. What I mean by this is that he fishes and I watch the river between chapters of my book.  This partnership and wise division of labour has resulted in some sizeable catches, although I wasn't actually there supervising when K caught his first barra. I'm sure the fish would have been even bigger with my input.



What you can catch in the Waterhouse River.
 

















I took a class of local kids fishing recently and they were horrified to find that Miz Sue doesn't put bait on hooks and has never killed or gutted a fish.  In my defence Grandpa used to bait my hook and gut my fish when I was their age. They took great delight in dropping a flapping fish at my feet. I did manage to pick it up and put it in the bucket of water. But that's all.

Anyway back to my story. This couple go "remote" and set up camp in a place where there is a considerable drop from the bank to the water and tie their boat up. They climb down to it using a rope ladder to go fishing and drop a pump into the river so that they don't have to be using buckets for water collection.  Why? Salty Crocodiles of course. 

After shuddering at the thought of all this, and needing to change the subject to something less alarming I told them about my blog and asked if they had any advise for us.  Their  solar power  set up is pretty basic and they use a generator a lot but they recommend this blog for info about solar.  

And this one from the same author about documents you should carry when caravanning.  In case of rope ladder climbing crocodiles I suppose.



Cheers Sue

A Ferg on the Move
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link a bout solar - Min and I really want to do a lot of research on this as reducing ongoing costs whilst travelling will be a big item for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though caravanning is immensely cheaper than motels we worked out a few years ago that an average of 30 dollars a night was just under 11,000 a year. Average site prices have gone up a lot since then. Every night we don't pay for a site or pay less to be unpowered reduces that cost significantly and increases the amount of time we don't have to work. And some of the best places are still free.

      Delete