Wednesday 9 September 2015

Things are slowing down here. Or steak, whips and supermarket checkouts.


We had dinner at the Bistro tonight. Our chef, a young Australian lad, is here for his third season. He works the peak tourist time and then does the backpacker thing in our summer in Asia and Europe. Sort of the young person's version of our life. K is working on his car for him at the moment.
Anyway he cooks the best steak on the Stuart Highway, in my opinion. I had to have one tonight cos he is off and away next week.

Gary Booth, guitar, didge, mouth organ and vocals
Model Barramundi created one weekend with local
and travelling children.

The entertainment here is winding down now. No more band, but we do have the whip cracking show for a few more weeks. Nathan Grigg's show is spectacular. He is the Guinness World Record holder for the number of whip cracks in a minute, 530 in fact. His is a consummate showman, and a genuine nice kid (well he is younger than our youngest son) If you ever get the chance to see his show take it.

Check out his website and this video.

This is our favourite time of the year. The place becomes quieter. We can find a space in the Thermal pool and it is still cool in the late evening until mid morning.

Favourite path to Stevie's Hole, Elsie National Park.

Another bonus that the tourist wind down gives us is access to a checkout queue at Woolworths in Katherine. In peak season shopping is an all day job, not counting the 109 km drive too and from. Picture  the checkout area of your local supermarket with 100 trolleys and their attendant couples and families waiting to be served after navigating around each other in the isles.

"You exaggerate," you say. Well actually I don't.
One fine Saturday last season I drove up with a lovely lady from school and several lists from staff and friends to shop. An hour later with two trolleys between us we hit the queue. An hour and a half later having exhausted all possible topics of conversation I left my trolley with my companion and dodged and weaved down the rows counting trolleys. 102!!!! (There's a Facebook post I did that day that has the photo I took of each end of the checkout area.)

So while I am grateful for the tourists, cos K makes his money off them, at least when they leave I can do a monthly shop in a bit less than three hours.


Bush camp south of Broome
  
 
Sometime soon it will be time for us to shed our worker skins, become tourists ourselves and set the caravan free to be its truly mobile self.


Cheers Sue

A Ferg on the Move




14 comments:

  1. Monthly shopping! Gosh, you'd want to be organised for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. We avoid Woolworths if we can in the peak season. Gotta have a list of things I either can't get local or want in larger quantities. Fresh stuff at a decent price. Wine. Gluten free goods. Have to remember I don't have much storage space.
      So brain in gear before leaving home.

      Delete
    2. I walk to the corner store every other day!

      Delete
    3. Life choices. You simplified life a different way to us. The joy of freshly bought isn't for us while we are here.
      It's something we do if we can at markets as we travel. And is one of the few nice things about being closer to a large city when we visit with the family.

      Delete
  2. Whipcracker is amazing. Its all in the wrists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is something to see live. Does a 45 minute show.

      Delete
  3. Wow, the supermarkets sound insane!
    If I were single I'd be up there during peak season and show off my super fast checkout skills.
    Managing that supermarket would be something else - I imagine they can't get the stock on the shelves fast enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or people to work checkout either.
      It has the largest turnover of any Woolworths in Australia I'm told. Not sure if it is true but I could believe it. There are acres of caravans there every day of the dry.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sue, Will see if I can actually post a comment this time. It looks hopeful. As I have said before, I love your story. I am just completing my first "grey nomad" expedition and I have absolutely loved it and am hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I complain about my supermarket! You would certainly need patience to cope with that checkout. Love the barra - great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm just the customer not the checkout operator. He has caught other barra. Not as big bit better tasting. Just above legal length is the best eating.

      Delete
    2. Actually admiring the cardboard one Sue. As an ex teacher I can appreciate the effort in that one!!

      Delete
    3. Cardboard one didn't taste so good.....
      Actually one of the backpackers was a child care worker and did the construction over a weekend with local indigenous kids and campers children.
      After dinner they lit it up on the camp fire. Was a great evening.

      Delete