Friday 10 June 2016

Six months off grid. Water, water where's the water

I read caravan magazines and online forums when ever I can. A reoccurring theme of discussion between the free site-ers (caravan speak for off grid camping) is access to water.  Where to get potable water as we travel and ways to reduce usage.



Our caravan has 180 litre water tanks and if we are careful and have very fast caravan type showers  we can last 4 days before the water pump stops delivering. 

Our spot on the farm is a cracker. Views to die for. Sheltered from the worst of the wind. But..... No town water.



So  K has been lugging water containers back from town almost every trip. 2 by 25 litres at a time. I have gained new respect for how strong K is despite his light build. He heaves these 25kg containers up above the tailgate. One day I thought I would show my appreciation for my caravan hot shower by sneaking the containers into the ute and fetching water. All went well until I was ready to lift them back in the car. I couldn't get them up high enough. After a very frustrating 5 minutes I conceded defeat and completely rearranged the front and back passenger area and jammed one water container into the front passenger foot well and seat belted the other in place. Very careful driving back to camp.



The transfer into our tanks is handled by pump set up Mr Fix It put together from a caravan 12 volt pump, water pipe, hose fittings and washers. The pump is housed inside a plastic box and hangs off the water heater shroud next to the water inlet. The water is pumped through a filter first.



I really appreciate the water that comes out of my caravan taps and try to make it last. Short showers, wash dishes once or twice a day, resist the temptation to rinse everything and wipe dishes with paper towel first instead. We use shower water to  wash clothes  and the cold water that comes through before hot water makes it to the shower head is saved in a bucket sitting in the shower and goes to  fill the flush tank on the toilet.



Rain provokes a wonderful dance where we chuck a bucket under the best water drips off the annex and transfer it to the tanks and containers. This exercise is supposed to save K trips into town, but we get plenty of exercise running in and out.



My caravan twin tub is the best water saving thing. It does a wash in 15 litres plus a bit extra for rinsing. So two showers worth of water.



A great event happened in the water department this week. K put a rainwater tank on a shed and it rained.  We pumped water from the tank to the caravan for the first time.  Champagne moment.



Cheers Sue



A Ferg on the Move.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, you are such an amazing pair. And I am so envious of your access to Mr Fixit's talents. Your talents are pretty special too and I might add that I am still enjoying the afghan you crocheted for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would think that by now 'someone' would have invented a caravan/annex guttering system. One for K maybe...patent it and live off the royalties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get him on to it. You can get tents that join and have a canvas gutter on the join.

      Delete
  3. Here in the states we call it boondocking or dispersed camping. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the dispersed camping label. Sounds a bit posher than free siting.

      Delete
  4. This post makes me realise how slack I've been with waterwise living being on town water. When we lived on tank water I was so much more careful...thanks for the wake up call and I'll do better from now on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help.
      It is raining here and will be for most of the week. Water tanks and containers are full. Rain still falling so I am really enjoying a decent time in the shower and washing dishes as I go. Those two things add 40 litres to our daily use. Ok when raining. Not so good when K has to lug it in.

      Delete
  5. Ah how sad that makes me feel(you can see I have nearly caught up with your blogs!!)My last water bill here in Adelaide shocked me probably as we have garden/lawn watering on it as well. 180 litres can last you 4 days-according to our bill we were doing over 1000 litres a day..... for 2 of us. Think that converted coach is going to need mighty large water tanks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Water conservation is one of the first things you learn when you caravan. Live it up when hooked up in a caravan park. Watch the water gauge on a free site. Water is heavy as well so there is a limit to what you can carry

    ReplyDelete