Tuesday 6 October 2015

Why the NT?

Whilst recovering here in Darwin from my operation and health scare I have been reflecting on what it is about the northern part of the Northern Territory that has made it so attractive as a work base for us. Besides work being easy to find and being able to live frugally that is.


Sunset in the NT


The weather, particular in the dry season is just perfect. Warm to hot days, cooler evenings and nights cool enough for a doona. The annex becomes an extension of our living space. I love to sit outside, with my feet up of course, on one of our camp lounges and read, or watch TV with a drink. Or crochet and watch the tourists bustle in and set up.

Untamed creek and bright green leaves

Great entertainment can be had watching the new comers each night. I wonder how relationships survive the process of parking a caravan. "Left, right, closer to or further away from the edge, level , not level"
I of course am much too well trained to presume to give K advise about backing the van.

Swimming is my preferred exercise, and we have really good croc free swimming holes. Beautiful pools, no work to maintain them and access any time. Being of somewhat larger proportions I have always found swimming pools and beaches very intimidating. Here in the tourist season looks don't matter. And a pair of shorts and a top is about as fancy as it gets. That's my kind of swimming togs.

Katherine Hot Springs

The colours. Everything up here has a sharpness. Nothing gentle. Bright vivid red, orange and brown. Crisp deep green and bright yellow.

Yellow and Green NT
NT Red road


The people. Generous and interesting characters. Capable and unflappable, unpretentious and down right nice, even if they can put away enough alcohol to pickle most normal humans night after night. As a cheap drunk who is officially tipsy after a glass and a half I am a very strange bird to them.

They have an uncanny ability to make a home out of just about anything. A van, a shed or just a carport gets tricked up into a dwelling in no time. We fit right in of course.


The kids. Everywhere I go now, "Miss Sue." Or "I saw Mr K at your camp." Incredibly loving and cheerful kids despite a disadvantaged life. Whatever your views of the system, and there's no easy solution, you'd have to love the kids.


I love every bit of our country. Love to visit the snow, settle in by the Murray river, holiday with the grandkids on the coast, visit the cities briefly, but the NT has got into my blood. I guess one day soon we might settle for work somewhere else. That is the idea of being mobile after all but NT will always be special.

In the meantime you might like to know that we had our first build up down pour here in Darwin last night. Hard enough to hurt my hand as it hit. Oh and I found a hairdresser... Luxury.
First Darwin rain clouds


Life is especially good today.


Cheers Sue


A Ferg on the Move





9 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, "Almost thou persuadest me," but if I do, it will be next year around about July. You make it sound so inviting. I am so glad you have recovered or recovering from your bout with the Mossies. I think you need to wear some mosquito netting. Maybe have a big hat and instead of corks hanging from it, some gathered netting round the brim with the net falling to you feet right around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. Maybe I could sell the device to unsuspecting tourists. I admit to jumping every time I hear a buzz now

      Delete
  2. I love your social observations - intriguing much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No man is a island so they say. Have had three offers for people to drive up and get me. Salt of the earth even when sozzled

      Delete
  3. Particularly evocative group of pics and good story telling Sue. You really capture what of the NT is about. So pleased to hear you are getting back to your old self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the visuals grabbed me first and then it became the people. Not being cold helps as well.
      It's going to be a while before I really feel physically well I think but the brain is starting to tick over at a faster rate.

      Delete
  4. You'll have to do a book innovation on "There was an old lady who swallowed a mozzie" with the kids - reckon it would be a big hit!! Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea. I can just imagine what their drawings would look like.

      Delete