Thursday 10 December 2015

The joys of small town shopping. Or K makes friends everywhere

Having a couple of good coffee shops and a decent supermarket close by is a real treat. Not to put down the supermarket and tourist season cafe in Mataranka. They do a great job. But to be somewhere that gets fresh food regularly is good.


Just at the moment we are coming in to town most days and so taking advantage of the luxury of being able to buy fresh bits most days.


I got an unusually bitter brew here at the cafe we like best last week and K decided to tell them, cos I couldn't drink it. So unusual for this cafe. Turns out the grind was all wrong. Machine had not been set up correctly after a clean or something. After a long conversation he had with them about coffee brands and such we have become unofficial tasters. They serve Australian coffee here, which is what we buy for the plunger. I am happy to report that today's coffee is just perfect. So far our collection of coins is holding out for treats. We put all our change into a bag and at the end of the season it gets counted and packed away into amounts for a drink and snack. Zero impact on the budget during the times like now when we are living off our savings. Seven months worth of coins goes quite a long way.


 
K has an uncanny way of making friends wherever he goes so we are now greeted with enthusiasm by the staff in just about every shop we go into here. He recognised by the camping and outdoor goods shop man, who has refitted the roof lining of the sedan, recovered arm rests and a chair and made carry bags for the solar panels for us the last couple summers.


The car and electrical supply bloke is a source of parts and advice about projects and the post office staff know who we are. The supermarket ladies are always up for a chat.
There is a lovely doctor here as well.
It is true that country towns are small places and people are noticed, but K manages to fit in at lightening speed and with lasting effect.


Every year we visit the Sock Factory where we buy woolen socks made on old machines on site and talk to the information centre staff to find out what is on in the area.


So shopping is good here.


Cheers Sue


A Ferg on the Move.









8 comments:

  1. I'm such a coffee snob, I hate it when I get a bad coffee from a cafe. I don't mean to be a snob, I just know how to make it properly and oftentimes it gets burnt and undrinkable. When I (rarely) buy a coffee I must ask them to make it "not too hot" which ends up being the right temperature.
    Funny about the grinder not being adjusted before the tech left - as Sam is a coffee machine tech he often gets calls about why the coffee tastes bad/runs too fast/too slow - it's usually the grinder isn't set properly as people do love to fiddle with things....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tech came the next day. I suspect the owner had fiddled but the staff didn't say that. Coffee from that cafe is normally excellent. If I have to pay for a coffee I like it to be good. Temperature changes the taste doesn't it. Lots of places burn the milk too. We use pods in the caravan as you know and I have got my pod coffee perfect for me. If I buy one I do like it to be as good or better.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue, Glad life on the farm and in the local watering spots is going good and Mr Fixit continues to justify his existence. Why is it we are all so wrapped up in how our coffee tastes. From my memory it used to be just whether the coffee was hot or cold which was the issue. We've certainly become more sophisticated in our tastes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't become a fan of coffee until I discovered tea coffee grinds. I still don't like instant. I have become a tea snob too. Only certain brands and preferably loose leaf tea the old fashioned way.

      Delete
  3. K's people skills are outstanding that's for sure. Manages to bring the bets out in everyone. An amazing feat to watch by introverts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is too short for bad coffee or tea! Go Kev.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is too short for bad coffee or tea! Go Kev.

    ReplyDelete