Thursday 3 December 2015

Trees. A parable of life

As an artist I have always been fascinated by trees. For me they are a parable of persistence. The way they bend to the wind and grow away again from burnt, broken and cut trunks and can survive  in the strangest places. They are beautiful. My fascination with them started as a child watching my maternal grandmother painting  gum trees. She would have them twisting and twining with the branches pointed in strange directions and I would argue that trees didn't do that. She'd send me out to look. She was right!

I love to paint them myself.

So it is no wonder that I have lots and lots of tree shots in the archives. Here are my favourites.


100_2235
Kings Canyon
Tamworth-Dubbo 001
Tamworth, the old tree and the sapling
murrumbidgee 007
Murrumbidgee River near Narandra
101_0300
Somewhere near Cairns


101_0582
Tree roots  reaching down into the lava tubes at Undaara QLD
 
 
100_1288
The dead and the green
I am particularly fascinated by the Boab tree. One of the signs that you have travelled into the top of WA is when they begin to appear.


101_0288
Classic boab twins
Picture 122
Gregory’s Tree WA.



Picture 125
Gregory’s Tree WA with  the dates
the explorers were there carved on the trunk.



100_3399
Boab Prison Tree near Derby WA.


100_3404
Boab Prison Tree near Derby. The gap was the door. They put
bars on to keep the mostly indigenous prisoners in.


























There are some fantastic trees on the farm so my camera and I will have to go hunting one day for inspiration to get out the pastels or acrylics.

In the mean time here is one of my paintings.


Cheers Sue

A Ferg on the Move.
 
 


6 comments:

  1. Just love your paintings - this one I have never seen before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think the Jamiesons have it. One of my favourites.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue, as always, love your stories and now love your painting as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. It's one of the things that I do miss from having a house.

      Delete
  3. Great painting. Now you have revealed yourself a real tree hugger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hug no. There are insects on tree trunks and I am avoiding them at the moment. But the texture and light play grab me.

      Delete