Thursday 8 October 2015

Crazy things tourists do: rockpiles, termite mounds and flip flop trees



I spent some time flipping through files today and came across these photos from Karajini National Park near Mount Tom Price in the Hamersley Ranges of WA.

Someone started a pile of rocks. Someone added to it and then it becomes a way to add your tag to a place. Sadly we do see paint tags at various sights as we travel. I rather like these little rock villages however. Sort of like prehistoric LEGO/ 



Up and down the  Stuart highway tourists are creating termite mound people. My own old shirts get snaffled by an indigenous co-worker who likes my style and has been known to help me shop for things she can inherit next season, but some folk are quite clever at dressing these strange lumps. This one was at Banka Banka. I think it is famous enough to be in a few websites.




Another time honoured Australian tourist activity is the thong (flip flop footwear not unmentionables) tree. Or the beer can tree.  Or the work boot and/or sneaker tree.
 
Now I was always taught  to take my rubbish with me so I'm turning my disapproving nose up at the last couple of ideas.
 
But I did like the little rock villages. Especially the high rise ones.




Cheers Sue


A Ferg on the Move.












4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was fascinated by the idea of the stone piles. The termite people have multiplied this season. Quite a few families springing up.

      Delete
  2. The rock villages are a classic! A much classier way to say "i waz 'ere"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so. Most of the other ways are just ugly.

      Delete