Wednesday 14 October 2015

Getting Ready to Travel: The spice store

So we are moving out in two weeks. Time to leave our NT  home and hit the road for a few months. First stop will be the NSW farm in time for a new grandchild.

Lots of jobs to do when you have been camped for 6 months in the same place. All the things that make life a bit easier are out ether in the van or annex and all the things that we have both collected need to be sorted and either packed or disposed of.

Inside I am tackling the food stores. Using up things that won't travel well and stocking up on staples that travel. And chucking out things.

It never ceases to amaze me what I find even in our tiny storage spaces. There's a tin of milo and one of drinking chocolate. We don't use either. Must have bought them last summer to make drinks for the grand kids. Four packets of half used loose tea, complete with insects, that were in the back of the bottom locker that is only supposed to have cans in it. The peahens are picking through that lot right now. I don't know how many jars of jam, a thing I don't use much at all. The backpackers can have a couple of  those. Some old looking tea bags are going as is a very old packet of custard.

As we travel I move from meals made from scratch with mostly fresh ingredients to quick meals made from the stores.  So I have just done a check of the herbs and spices and I'm making up packs of our favourite seasoning mixes. I make these myself because the bought ones have salt, something called flavours and often have gluten thickeners.  If I am being really good I might even mix up a couple of chicken meals and lamb mince meals with my spice mixes ready to pop in the microwave or crockpot for hot travelling evenings.

I am making my Italian mix of  2 parts each of dried basil, dried majoram, dried oregano and one dried sage. Great in sauces and in vinegar and olive oil as salad dressing.

Lamb mince, gluten free pizza, with sweet potato,
 sundried tomato and yoghurt topping

I made a lamb mince pizza last night with this seasoning, dried tomato strips and left ever veggie. Topped with a bit of yogurt..... Yum


Lettuce, tomato and avocado salad with home made Italian dressing
Topping up the Cajun mix with paprika and chilli powder, pepper, oregano and thyme

I have finally used up the last of the bought curry powder so now I am going to recycle the little box and fill it with a ground mix of 3 tsp turmeric, 2 tsp coriander, 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, 3/4 tsp yellow mustard, 1/2 tsp fenugreek, 1/2 tsp cardamom, 1/2 tsp cloves, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp black pepper.  This one is not cheaper than the bought box, but so much nicer.

This exercise should use up most of my stored spices and herbs, which I won't top up until I get to the  big smoke. I will use up or give away the various packets of flour except for the gluten free bread mix and the yoghurt makings. And I think the baking powder is way past its use by date.

Things are looking good.

Cheers Sue

A Ferg on the Move






  

3 comments:

  1. Great spice mix receipe there. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great spice mix receipe there. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are modified from a few I researched. Less salt for K, less ginger and chilli for me. I like them.

      Delete