Sunday 4 October 2015

Not a great couple of weeks

This last couple of weeks has been a bit of a trial. I debated whether to blog this or not. But I guess the good and the bad make the whole picture. So not for sympathy, but because remote travel has some risks. Here goes.



Two weeks ago as K was packing up to go to Rathmines near Newcastle I noticed three insect bites under my left arm. Not a welcome sight as I blow up into large boil like lumps from mosquito stings. I have layers of scars on my legs as proof. Generally I disinfect the skin and cover and if I resist the urge to scratch they pop a blister and go down. Two bites did. One didn't.


So for nearly a week I was treated at our wonderful clinic in our tiny town with intravenous antibiotics while we got the lump down from what looked like a third breast under my arm to a size they could operate on to drain and clean.

I was not very cooperative under anaesthetic coughed, aspirated, got air into the plural cavity, had to be evacuated by plane to Darwin. Went to sleep in Katherine 2pm Thursday, woke up in Darwin Friday mid morning. Missed the whole show. Well I'm not known for doing things by halves.


It's funny what your brain does.   I'm coming to, trying not to panic as they pull the biggest tube out of my mouth and there is a man saying, "Get her glasses on. Her sister says she will panic if she can't see". My head goes "Sister? Must be in Darwin." Cos my little big sister lives in Darwin now.


So they transported me 118 km to Katherine, flew me 380km to Darwin, looked after me in ICU, have me in outpatient accommodation this week so I can get the wounds dressed.... I have a hole where the bite was and a tube hole that went into the lung on the other side. They have cared for me, rung my husband daily, supplied my drugs and wiped my tears. And they are gonna get me nearly 500 km home at the end of the week.
Both hospitals were brilliant. Try getting that kind of care in some other countries.


Oh and I am ok.
But if you live or travel remote the possibility of something going wrong has to be faced squarely.


No pictures of the lump either......



Cheers Sue
A Ferg on the Move
 

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a couple of weeks you have had and right when you were there alone. You would get the same emergency care here in the states but do not think that you would get outpatient accommodations or a way home.
    So glad that you are on the mend. Do take care and take time to recover.
    As we have gotten older we are more aware that when we travel around our area into parts that are not always well traveled and have no phone service that we need to be aware and accept the risks that help in not at hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Candace. The combination of more advanced years and remoteness has its risks. I guess every life choice has its costs and benefits.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear of your recent hospital stay!
    Good thing we have such good medical care in this country.
    I for one am very thankful that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg either.
    Living remotely would be tough in medical emergencies - I worry about snake bites and I live 10 minutes from a decent hospital! Can only imagine the peril of being hundreds of kilometers from help... you'd definitely want to have a phone that works.

    I hope Big Sister is able to keep you company til K comes home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay. We do have to be aware of the risks of the choices we make. I am going well. K and I should arrive home about the same time. Be glad to see him.

      Delete
  3. You were indeed lucky. The clinic sisters in the NT are exceptionally competent but you certainly had a close call under that anesthetic. And I am guessing that your evacuation was a major effort for quite a few people. I bet your family was relieved the staff at RDH are so good too. I wish you well now. Remember to take time to recuperate and to enable your immune system to get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. I believe I caused quite a stir. One of the DRN of Katherine hospital lives a short walk from us as her husband works with K. She rang me yesterday just to make sure I was ok, as did the anaesthetist who we know. Both the surgeons popped in to check I was still breathing. They train for emergencies but must be upset when it happens. Evacs are big deal around here.

    ReplyDelete