Monday 8 February 2016

Frugal yet generous

As I began this post I noticed that it is number 107. Imagine that. And you are all still reading.
When I was persuaded to start this blogging thing by Phil Pogson of House of Simple last year I had no idea how rewarding it was going to be. I find myself looking at the business of each day with a new eye, checking for things to capture in photos and stories.




House of Simple is all about simplicity and positive frugality. This post is in the way of a nod to the HOS family as well as a thankyou for a special and long lived friendship with another family we treasure as well.


We have just got back from a few days with some very good friends in Sydney. C and D met K in Western Australia well before he met me. He stayed in their house, the same one they own still, after a conference with a big mob of other teenagers and young people, beginning a friendship that has lasted the test of time.


Now they have frugality down pat. Never a cent seems to be wasted. Nothing replaced if it can be economically fixed. Electricity not wasted. Car kept running not a new one bought. An old washing machine until recently. Frugal.


But generous. That house is always open to visitors. A parade of young people needing a place to stay, with minimal board, families, oldies flow through the house. Money is always there to help others.


C bought K a bulk lot of salt reduced peanut butter he found on special, issued two jars and put the rest away to give us next time because we don't have the space to store them. He made yoghurt in bulk to give to family and use themselves. (C would vie with K for his Mr Fix It title. You should see the yoghurt maker C has crafted out of an old electric fry pan fitted with a metal collar. Makes 9 litres at a time.)


We came home with onions from a bulk bag C and D bought cheap to share, peanut butter and a litre of yoghurt so I wouldn't have to make some late at night after we unpacked. They fed us, lent us the washing machine so we didn't have dirty clothes in our bags when we left. D hung them and brought the in. I have never managed to beat her to the clothes line even if I stake out the laundry. I think she slips in the back way as soon as the machine clicks off.


The kettle has just the right amount of water in I when it boils. The outside temp is monitored so as to time window fan and aircon use to the minute. Bulk foods preserved, family showers timed. I admit that in my younger days I saw this frugality as meanness. .... I was very short sighted in my youth.


So HOS and C and D ... We love you lots




Cheers Sue
A Ferg on the Move
  





6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, Just one thing, It would be good for the reader, namely me, if I had some idea who the people are you are mentioning in your posts. Perhaps you could give us a first name Phil P. for example. It really adds to the story to have some idea who you are interacting with. Myself I would love the full name, but if that is not ok for you, then at least the first name. Can't believe your blog has been going on for so long. Have read every one. Have you by the way read any of mine, fayberrystory.com?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its about privacy Aunty Fay. Unless I am gong to ask each person I mention for permission I am not prepared to identify them any more than I do. Yes reading your stuff.

      Delete
  3. That wouldn't have been the 1977 conference Sue would it? When the meeting tent blue down the first night and we had to resort to buses to a hired hall. I was on the "S.S Pitt and Crewe welcome you aboard."Like A Fay trying to guess names but respect what you say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might have been before that. K is a bit older than me.

      Delete