Sunday 14 February 2016

Mobile phones. Or I had 3 bars once upon a time

You might remember my blog about the vagaries of phone service generally and in country areas in particular. In it I described the things I have to do to stay in touch.... http://fergsonthemove.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/staying-in-touch-or-things-i-have-to-do.html?m=0


Mobile phone service remains sketchy on the farm. K has his aerial on the shearing shed and a couple of times a day plugs his phone in to check sms. My phone doesn't have a spot to plug in so I still have to catch up on the drive in to town or go up to the gate and stand in the middle of the road.


The mobile phone gods must hate us. Two o'clock in the morning seems to be the "ok the phone is gonna work now" time. Emails and sms arrive to the tune of  his and hers matching beeps.








So imagine our utter shock and not so quiet delight when the signal on both our phones didn't flicker and die as we drove in the farm gate late at night returning from Crookwell. We were both so excited that our daughter got a celebratory SMS from both our phones. At 11.45 pm. Its not just teenagers who can't tell the time.


I stayed up even later reading blogs expecting the signal to disappear any moment. I even sat in bed the next morning downloading a few books with 3 bars on my phone. I could have been in the big smoke. A real place with real communication services.


Alas this excitement was all for nought as the Telstra service went into melt down the next day and I haven't seen a phone bar on the farm since. Oh well...back to standing in the middle of the road. Or I could hike down to the dog pen. K gets messages there.




Cheers Sue
A Ferg on the Move

No comments:

Post a Comment