Sunday 3 July 2016

Back to cooking on a wood fired room heater




Mr Fix It has made friends with half of the business people in town. The hardware guys, the car and electrical parts bloke, the camping, canvass repairs place. He has been setting up the shed for storage and has closed one bit of as a sort of hard annex. Been popping into town for bits and pieces.



One visit resulted in the offer of a second hand wood fired heater in need of a bit of tender care and at a quarter of the price of a new one. Ideal shed heater. And with a cooking grid as well.

He hammered the baffle plate flat. Fire cemented the chimney fitting, rubbed back and re enamelled the base. Our son-in-law helped him lift it into place onto a fire resistant sheet and then we waited for a break in the rain.



I am an accomplished assistant. I pass things. Hold onto ladders. Remind him to watch his step. Remember where he left the tools. And worry. I worked overtime that day. The roof was slippery and the wind a bit gusty. K kept telling me to chill. He had it under control.

A few hours later, after a quick wood hunt in the rain smoke was curling out of the chimney.




In a previous life we had a wood heater and I used to cook all the time on the top of it and in the coals. There is nothing like fire baked potatoes. I was keen to see whether I had lost my touch.


The score so far is:

Baked potatoes
Slow pot roast chicken and pork.
Braised vegies.
Toasted pita on the top and in the  fire on the end of a fencing wire toasting fork.



Now you all know I hate open fires. Fire behind a glass is the  best. I am gonna make the best of it while we have the caravan parked near the shed. 





Cheers Sue
A Ferg on the Move

2 comments:

  1. Now thats something our Cheralee should take up in Tas. Once their wood fire starts up for winter it never goes out. This brings back memories of my grandmother who only ever cooked on a wood stove and every time they moved house the electric 1 got the flick and a new wood 1 went in-1 way to get a new stove I guess. Memories over the holidays of getting up and cooking home made bread on a toasting fork over the coals from the night burn in the oven before it was fired up for the day....ah my mouth is watering now just thinking about it...and topped with homemade rasperry jam. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade bread toasted on coals. Very special memory.

      Delete