Sunday 23 August 2015

Just a recipe collection and memories


Nothing serious is getting done around here. There's a V8 race on the TV. So naturally  since we are both "rev-heads"  the bed is configured as a lounge and we are glued to the screen.

At some point one of us is going to have to think about dinner. I'm fresh out of ideas.

I gave away all of the enormous number of cook books collected over the years on the basis that I couldn't fit them in. (I am a cook from memory with whatever is in the pantry and fridge kind of cook I figured I wouldn't use them even if I packed them.)

At times like this there are only two places I go.

One of them is the first book I bought when we were planning the transition from house to caravan. Eva Stovern has a series of books, this is the second, born from extensive travels. I set my first caravan pantry up based on her "30 ingredients." Her advise about kitchen essentials is pretty good too.  I don't regret buying the book and still use some of the recipes. This is the author's official site. Check it out


Caravan cook book by Eva Stevern
30 Ingredients and kitchen essentials.
 

The  other potential source of inspiration is my trusty recipe collection.  This is a little green book that I was given before we were married and still has my maiden name in very neat student teacher printing on the inside cover. I could not bring myself to part with this.
 


Inside its pages are recipes copied from both my grandmothers  who were frugal but amazing cooks, and both my mums (his and mine that is).  There is  a chocolate cake recipe still made by many of the members of the extended family with notes in the margin for conversions to gluten free.
Grandma's pot roast, mock chicken, mustard dressing are copied in neat printing.  Later entries are not so tidy. I can hardly read the crust less quiche. There is a page with the no fail sponge that never works for me. I think you have to measure carefully for this one.

Tucked into the pages and the front and back cover are magazine clippings as well as typed and hand written gems contributed over the years by friends.

It is more a bit of history than a cook book BUT as I flip through  I do spy devilled lamb chops in grandma's handwriting and there are some farm grown chops left in the freezer.

That's sorted. Back to the V8s. Go FORD!




Cheers  Sue

A Ferg on the Move










6 comments:

  1. "There is a page with the no fail sponge that never works for me." ...still chuckling about this line - hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is MumFergs famous sponge. The look on her face when I muck it up is priceless

      Delete
  2. I followed the link to Eva Stevern site where she also had some advice about buying a caravan. Its the first time I have come across a list of practical concerns to take into consideration. Thank you for that.
    I have one of those recipe books that my son has asked to have "after, you know, mom" It has recipes from my mom and my grandmother, Sometimes I get sidetracked, when looking for a recipe, looking at their handwriting and reading the recipes.
    I am enjoying your writing very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Candace.
      O
      I am enjoying the blogging, both the writing and being able to share things. Glad you found the site useful.

      Delete
  3. Ha, ha I'm still chuckling too! Invent your own sponge Sue. That's the kind of thing you're good at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not gonna happen Chris. I am completely traumatised by the failed sponge experience.

      Delete