Saturday 8 August 2015

Salt and sugar free Tuscan Spice mix

Y
Tuscan spice mix ingredients


The commercial bottles of spice mixes include salt and sugar, both of which we try to keep out of our diet where we can.  Some also have rice flower to absorb moisture and bulk out the mix.

So today I am making Tuscan Spice Mix.
I three quarters fill the bottle with equal amounts of dried rosemary and parsley and then top up with dried garlic to almost full. Then I add ground peppercorn to the very top, screw on the lid and shake to mix. These proportions work for us but if you look at the ingredients list on a commercial spice mix there should be percentages of each ingredient. Mine is heavier on garlic and rosemary than the bought one.

Without salt the mix will not keep indefinitely so I sometimes make only half a  bottle. We reuse the original commercial bottle which has the label on it already.


Now I can make Tuscan Chicken and Rice for dinner in my mini 1.5ltr crock pot.
 
Mini 1.5 ltr slow cooker ideal for small space
 

250g chicken thighs skinned
1 teaspoon Tuscan Seasoning
1/4 cup water
vegies of choice - today mushrooms and tomatoes




I just put it all in on low for the day and half an hour before eating add a bit of cream and mustard. If the sauce is thin I mix a bit a thickening into the cream and mustard. Serve with rice, mash or noodles. Low salt and yum.




Cheers Sue
A Ferg on the Road



No comments:

Post a Comment