Monday 31 August 2015

Of clocks and bedside shelves.


When we first bought our van I guess we thought we'd use it for a few years and then trade up. During our first shakedown trip, a gallop up to Brisbane taking in the newly weds of the time in Sydney and then back again, we really fell in love with our little home, and K began upgrading and customising both the internal and external set up to make life easier. Each of these makes it harder to think about starting again in a new home. (A bit like moving house I guess)


K worked for a watchmaker as a holiday job as a teenager, which is why he has a watch from one of the backpackers on the table ready to service. He loves clocks, so one of the first things he did was to put a clock hanging spot out in the annex. The original clock, a souvenir Ford clock of course, still gets hung up as soon as we park the van.
Sometimes it stops. Perhaps it should be replaced. But no!......maybe it is a battery or is it the ants who hide in the warmth of the battery box and short it out. Throw it away. Not likely. It gets cleaned or whatever and off it goes again.

So there is one clock ticking outside and two inside and if he can get away with it the wind up travel clock finds its way onto his beside table as well.  All of these tick at a different time. Drives me mad. At least they don't chime or play music. That might precipitate one of my famous impressions of a nuclear explosion.

Clock, barometer and thermometer rebated into the wall
 between the bed and shower.
And fancy shelf, routed and fitted
with decorative edges.
 
 
There have been other improvements to electrics and water and  other critical functions that I will leave for later but the thing I appreciate most each night and morning is my removable bedside table.

You see I was very short sighted when I chose the left side of the bedroom as mine. In our caravan configuration the bedside unit is on the right. I get the back of the kitchen chairs and a long reach to the table.  I have commented on this unfair distribution of critical bedside real-estate, gently of course, on a number of occasions.

Imagine my delight when after a day or two of mysterious activity involving wood, a router, hooks and other bits of metal I find this beautiful creation next to my side of the bed. Stained, sealed and removable. And I only nagged a little bit.


Removable bedside table
attached to back of kitchen seating

 

 
Life is good!

Cheers Sue

A Ferg on the Move
 

 

 

 

 


 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Great! Never knew of Kevin's love affair with clocks, should have guessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He used to turn on the chimes or set the cuckoo going whenever he saw a clock with one. Maybe you didn't have "sick clocks" for him to fix!

      Delete
  2. Funny - Sam hates analog clocks with a passion. Can't stand the ticking...
    having that many clocks, all out of ticking sync would send him postal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Postal is a good word. Night time trying to sleep and they are out of rhythm. Musician is me goes crackers. Good thing I luv the man.

      Delete
  3. Oh to have a handy man around...mine is a little lacking in DIY skills. He can design a process plant, but can't bang a nail in straight, bless him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I take it for granted. He's very good at it. Good hand skills, a great problem solving mind and the stubbornness to stick at something until it gets finished.

      Delete