Wednesday 26 August 2015

Generosity. Or I have fresh eggs, veggies and a dead snake.

I am always heartened by the generosity of the people who live out here. I think because we are so few we naturally look out for each other.  So tonight I thought I'd show you the wonderful produce that I have been given this week

Last Sunday we met with friends to break bread and encourage each other. Our hostess put on a wonderful spread as usual which went down a treat with a bottle of Western Australian red that K had found in Katherine a few weeks ago. After lunch everyone disappeared into the kitchen garden and came back with fresh broccoli and kale, as well as a reasonable long snake.


 
The snake was dead, cut in half by the shovel that is a necessary tool to carry when you venture into  gardens such as these and, since it was dead, I assume it was not a children's python. I didn't get close enough to check.


Last night I was too bushed to drive back an hour and a bit from the school I was in, so the principal and his wife kindly put me up for the night. They fed me and gave me a bed.  There was buffalo stew cooked in the  slow cooker, rich tender meaty chunks, vegetables and spicy gravy. This morning there was a serve of this stew packaged up for K.


(The buffalo roast we have in the freezer,  and which we are not cooking tonight now, was given to us by one of K's fellow workers who went hunting recently. I love the taste of buffalo but it has a very strong almost grassy smell as it cooks so when it is cooked here the crockpot is banished to the very end of two extension cords.)

I was introduced to the chooks (Australian for hens) all twenty of them who live in a fenced off half a house block with a massive intruder proof night cage. Wild pigs have been known to crash through fences to get to  chooks and eggs, the  camp dogs like fresh chicken, as do the pythons. 

So I have a dozen eggs collected this morning, as well as some vine ripened tomatoes.


Fresh anything costs an arm and leg here so it is especially wonderful to benefit from the generosity of old friends and new acquaintances alike.

Vine ripened tomatoes
 
Cheers Sue

A Ferg on the Move
 


 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. There is never any need to be afraid of a Children's python. They rarely bite and make wonderful pets. You do know they are named after Dr Children don't you? Children's pythons do not eat children and olive pythons do not eat olives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that. The pythons around here are huge.

      The poisonous ones are on the move now as the heat increases. They hide in the cool and gardens are just perfect places for them. As are near swimming pools and rainwater tanks.

      Delete
  2. To be renamed "Sue's bush adventures".

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be renamed "Sue's bush adventures".

    ReplyDelete