Wednesday 5 August 2015

Food storage in a tiny space

I'm doing a 300 km round trip tomorrow to teach a half day, attend a PD and shop in the nearest larger town. A chance to stock up while resisting the urge to buy amounts I can't store in my tiny space.



I have to think about food storage in a different way now. I have a three rung pull out pantry drawer, two overhead lockers and a 10 litre bin under the sink. There is a bar size fridge with a tiny freezer as well as our camping 12volt fridge freezer that has the last of the farm grown lamb in it.

 Bulk buys are not practical in this size space so, with the exception of gluten free goods and coffee pods, which we can't get in our little town store, we just store small amounts. Everything has to be safe for travel, as light as we can manage and dry goods need to be airtight as the little ants get into everything.



Pull-out under sink tinned goods tub
 
The 10 litre tub has tinned goods under the sink so as to keep the heavy things at floor level.
 Baking goods, including gluten free flour and bread mix, live in air tight containers tucked up in the end of one overhead locker with more frequently used stock behind the lift up door.





Half the pantry with the baking goods hidden of the left
Small plastic take away food containers sans the lids hold packages of dried peas, gravy sachets and spices.







Spices within easy reach.
An old fashioned spice rack like mum used to have is attached to the wall in a corner. I make my own spice mixes free of salt so the rack has the everyday ones. K bolted this to the wall in an otherwise useless corner of the caravan kitchen. There is a safety rope of black elastic that is tightened around the bottles when we are on the move.




Recycled plastic storage
Half of the second locker has bulk gluten free cereal and nuts in air tight tubs. I use empty fruit containers as they stack in two rows. I usually soak the labels off but I was obviously "too busy" when I filled these ones. Fruit containers are just the right size to fit in the three rung pull put panty as well, a useful fact a fellow camper shared with me one morning over coffee.



Off to make a list so that's all for now.

Cheers Sue
A Ferg On The Move





No comments:

Post a Comment