Saturday 14 November 2015

Busy Rainy Morning

Today is Saturday. Before we came into town today I decided to tackle a few things.  Cooking being the main one. Outside of course since I am determined not to cook in the caravan, even if it is raining outside.

 
 
When it is wet the otherwise quite spacious annex is very crowded. K has every chair we own unpacked and set up just in case someone needs them and because is it raining his tools are under the annex too.  The washing I did yesterday with the saved shower water is hanging from the annex roof. Yes I know I could have taken it down the hill to the shearing shed and hung it up there. Granted it would probably be dry by now but I would have got soaked opening the gate on the way.
 


Anyway back to the tasks.... I decided to make lunch with the left over roast lamb from the freezer. So I dodged the washing to use the outside burners to make Italian Herbed potato, sweet potato and roast lamb  with salad. Yum

I have just about worked out how to use the BBQ to make our gluten free bread.  Proofing the bread is a problem when the car is colder than the caravan. Bread rises really well in a warm car. But I had to heat the BBQ up so I put the tin on top of the BBQ lid wrapped in a wet tea towel. It made a sort of steam bath and up came the loaf a treat.

Bread is not too bad. Need a few more goes to get it perfect. But it tastes pretty good, warm with butter and cheese.

As I finished the loaf K came up the hill with more eggs... The chickens are laying four every day.So instead of turning the BBQ off I made a very large crust less quiche. K will be having quiche and salad for lunch for a few days.

I haven't quite worked out why my daughter has chooks. She, like her mother, does not like the taste of eggs. So while she is away doing the baby thing I have taken over her job of trying to work out what to do with  a superfluity of eggs.


Heading off to town get the house ready for the family (and new baby)  And upload a blog or two since the gods of the internet will let a SMS through at 3.30 am but will not let the signal stay on long enough to upload a blog with photos.


Cheers  Sue

A Ferg on the Move

5 comments:

  1. With all those eggs you can do meringues and also get your Xmas cake baked (don't they use about 12 eggs?). I bet K and you are wishing there was some way you could harness the water runoff from the van and annex in all this rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ideas Phil. We would really like to have a larger collection method for the water runoff. We make do by placing 20 litre buckets at the two lowest points. If we ever have a more permanent parking spot here we might invest in a small rainwater tank. However the sun is supposed to be shining here next week so I guess we just carry water from town.

      Delete
  2. Actually sue you nee to get onto some of the yacht blogs and how they harness rainwater runoff from their cabin roof and pipe it straight into their tanks. I remember their was a number of articles on it in Cruising Helmsman using clear pipe to run around their roof sealed down and then pipes off the lowest points running around to their tank fillers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will take a look. We have rain water off a shed now as you will discover as you get closer to the present..... But when travelling again that might be useful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just emailed a link through Sue

    ReplyDelete