Sunday 15 November 2015

Travel Memories. Derby Corroboree


During one of our trips across the north of WA we managed to be in Derby on the weekend of a cultural festival. Everywhere we went in town people were urging us to go that evening. I think it cost us $5 to park the car and it was one of most interesting evening we have ever had.

The local artist had displays, the schools kids had displays of work and craft and there was  an enormous variety of food and music. We attended the night of the children’s corroboree. There were mostly kids dances as well as performances by some of the very elderly elders. The kids were dressed up and took their roles seriously. 

The little children had glow sticks that they put around their necks and then they ran all over the grounds and climbed the trees. After dark there were circles of light in every tree, moving constantly and the air rang with giggles. They chased each other through the crowd, and across the arena.

K found me a seat to watch the dancing and went to get me food. A very nice indigenous lady decided she was my friend and was really impressed with kind, polite, and helpful man.  She was very keen to take us back to her camp for the night and show him off to her sisters. I think if I had not hung on really hard I might have lost K.

I was not teaching in remote schools at the time so this was my first look at indigenous  culture. I have since attended a couple of festivals but this one stands out because it was so friendly.




Party time. Dancing to the band.
 

We had a great night.
Have to go back sometime.
 
Cheers Sue
A Ferg on the Move

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment