Sunday 10 January 2016

Some musings. Place names and travel sound tracks.


I took this picture a few weeks ago when we decided to spend our coffee money at the "top pub" in Crookwell. Funny how most towns have one of those..and a bottom pub as well. It doesn't seem to matter what the real name is the location takes precedence. Anyway I love this piece of art. Such an ingenious use of barbed wire. I don't think the picture does it justice. The dingo grows out of the wall in a spectacular fashion.


Anyway back to the peculiar ways we name things. Creeks and rivers. How many "....Mile Creeks" are there? Obviously the settlers needed to know how far they were from somewhere. As I traveller I wouldn't mind knowing just where that somewhere is.

 And if it is not a distance then we are blessed with doubles and triples of  someone's name .. like George or Lee. And lots of Little creeks. Mind you it is useful when entering Crookwell to find the Crookwell creek. (There is a Fergusson River in the NT. That one I am not complaining about) 

And then there are roads. Most of our capital cities have the same street names... Elisabeth, George etc. Be nice if the royal family had been a bit more adventurous with names so the developers could have honoured them with a variety of street names and I could remember which capital I am in. Cos George Street is in a different place in Sydney and Melbourne.

At least we can always feel at home. Never far from the familiar.  I grew up in Fullarton in Adelaide. There is  a Fullarton settlement not far from Crookwell. And so it goes on.

 
We are on the road today having got organised yesterday so we could jump in the sedan at 5.30am just as the sun rose  and make a dash to Adelaide .  This route across the Hay Plains is very familiar. We know the cheaper fuel stops and have our favourite places to stop for tucker.
As usual the sound track for this stretch of road is John Williamson. We often pass Tubbo Station to the tune of his song. Sometimes it is even raining. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7f44-NsL6Wg

We are at Hay for lunch at 12.30. Perfectly timed. I believe the trip so far has gone well. I am only taking K's word for this as I slept most of the way. About 550 k's. I woke up in time to do the writing of this post on my lap.

Lunch has arrived so that's enough rambling for now.

Cheers Sue

A Ferg  on the Road.




2 comments: