Tuesday 25 October 2016

Frugal repurposing. A day behind the sewing machine


My sewing machine lives at my daughter's in Crookwell. I decided it was too heavy to carry in the caravan, besides these days I don't sew a lot. Mostly it languishes in the linen press probably dreaming of the days when it hardly got a chance to cool down between marathon sessions of clothes making. Poor thing! Or maybe it enjoys its well deserved rest.

 Today we decided to give it a workout.

I reshaped some pants of mine, let down and/ or took up a hem or two, fixed a side seam on my long black skirt and darned some holes.


My daughter had a pile of clothes to work on as well.

Leggings into bike shorts and jeans into shorts for Miss Four and a Half. Little Miss has shot up not out so the legs were all too short and colours were definitely not for Master Almost One. She measured and cut and I matched threads and sewed cute rolled hems for the shorts. 

Seven altered garments later we turned our attention to mum. The sewing machine spat out two pair of grown up shorts cut down from jeans for mum as well.  

The final masterpiece was a dress for Miss Four and a Half from a jumper dress of her mother's, created while said mother put elastic into the waistbands of some pants.

A very satisfying day indeed. Nice to repurpose instead of giving away.

The only person not really happy about it all was Master Almost One who thought grandma should pick him up rather than run the sewing machine.
 
Cheers Sue

A Ferg on the Move



No comments:

Post a Comment